Sunday, October 30, 2016

Terrain Time

This was a tough day in level design. What I worked on here is actually a first draft for a level of a capstone project. I won't spoil all the details, but it's a sports game with large asymmetrical real world levels. You'll be able to see the 2 goal zones around the castles and 3 kill zones on the 3 flat areas down below.

This map is inspired northern Germany, particularly the Bavarian alps and the castles situated therein. The 3 large flat spaces at the bottom of the level are frozen lakes, the rest of the area is mountainous rocky paths. The game deals a lot with movement and collision physics so the map is set up to allow people to knock things off ledges toward the kill zones, and to provide multiple choke points and potential paths to the goal zones at the far ends of the map. As a side note, all of the ramps and pathing was hand done, I didn't use the ramp tool at all as it looked too unnatural.

Sadly, a lot of my programming intentions fell through. The kill zones aren't working for the Ice pillars (which represent enemies), though I can switch the blueprint to have them kill the player.
The goal zones tick up your score but I have not gotten it to stay on the HUD for more than a few seconds. Most importantly, when you hit the IceFoes, they go flying and I cannot figure out how to reduce the impact. I've tried a few things like turning there weight up to 3 tonnes, but that didn't effect anything.

I'd like to come back and improve this when my knowledge of Unreal is equally improved.


An overview after the initial sculpting. From this distance a lot of the mountain ridges smooth out, but I believe that by this point I had already done most of them.

This is the forming of the cinner lakes and the choke points. From here you can see four ramps that lead down into the different lakes providing multiple options for attack.
I built a castle out of basic geometry. In game, this will be a spawn point and a goal zone.

There is no jumping in the game, so needless to say, I had to delete it.

This is my little score Blueprint. It's simple, but it works nicely. the other part is in the Level blueprint which uses an EventOnOverlap trigger.


A shooting gallery. That green sphere is a kill zone trigger.

I made the sky darker, and added a bit of blue to the skylight to make everything feel colder.


Looking into the basin.


Mah VID:

No comments:

Post a Comment