Sunday, October 23, 2016

MineCraft Map

Dear professor Zuccarello, I know you said to start logging our time on the hw. I regret that I did not accurately log mine. However, I know that it has taken approximately 15 - 20 hours to make everything here including the UVs the textures, and the map itself. I have no sense of whether or not that is an appropriate amount of time. In any case, the following is a video capture of me traversing the level.

(Video Coming Soon)

And now for some build pictures, YAYYYYYYY! There are quite a few.

I snipped out the UV's of a beveled cube.

Then I used grid snapping to fill in all of the little hole and gaps.

This is the very start. I decided to build the cave from the inside out. Still haven't decided it if this was a good idea.

Getting a sense of scale, the cave is almost big enough.

Here we are on top, planning out the bottom of the upper pond.

Went back and made some mossy stones and then overdid it. Had to trim the hedges significantly.

Ahh, that's better. 

A river flows through here. Sadly, this river was neither opaque nor non-collidable. To solve opacity I had to make another base material. To fix collisions, I got to learn about the various selection tools. This was really REALLY useful info.

Built out my little lake and started thowing around massive chunks of grass (homemade).

A view of the whole map from the sky. Only one thing left to do.

Diamonds can be everyone's best friend when we oppose traditional gender roles!
You can also see an attempt at lighting.
I ended up needing another point light to make things look the way I wanted.

The point light did wonders to get that caverny feel, however I had to turn off emissives for this shot, and hence, the diamonds aren't shimmering the way the do in the final level.

2 comments:

  1. Looks interesting, wish you would have visited me early with the emissive problem. Need the gameplay video as well. I really like the lighting and atmosphere at the bottom shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The emissive happened at 10:30pm Sunday night. Looking forward to our meeting tomorrow regardless.

      Delete